Texas' easternmost city on the
Sabine River boundary with Louisiana, established 1836, the
year of Texas" independence. Named for landmark of wild
orange groves on banks of the Sabine, as cited by early
French and Spanish boatmen. Today Orange is both a
recreational and industrial portal to Texas. Abundant fresh-
and saltwater fishing; hunting and bird-watching in vast
coastal marshes. A walking tour map of downtown, available
from the chamber of commerce at 1012 Green Ave., visits such
sites as the central fire station where an antique fire
engine and fire-fighting memorabilia are displayed, plus
other historic or interesting structures.
Brown Center of Lamar Univ., -
Built as family residence for oilman Edgar Brown, whose wife
wanted a Southern Plantation house like "Linden" in
Natchitoches, LA. Brown re-created the house where the family
resided. The property was given to Lamar Univ. by the Brown
family where it is used as a conference center today. Open
Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Group tours by appointment
only.) 4205 Park Ave. Admission.
miles long complex of modem plants producing myriad
products derived from petroleum. An impressive drive day or
night on F,M. 1006 south and southwest.
Excellent 200-seat little theater with several
productions a year; summer children's theater. Inquire
locally for schedule. 700 Division St.
Farmer's Mercantile -
Fabulous browsing among incredible variety of farm,
ranch and agricultural items on display, from horse collars
and 19thCentury cream crocks to modem hybrid seeds and pH
soil testers; 6th and Division Sts.
its opalescent glass dome and stained-glass windows
are worth visiting. The modified Greek Revival architecture
is striking. The exterior is native Texas pink granite;
lampposts are bronze, Napoleonic Second Empire Period. At 902
W. Green Ave.
Heritage House Museum-
Large, rambling, two-story structure built as home
in 1902; listed in the National Register of Historic Places
and designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
Changing historical exhibits plus authentic room settings
with period furnishings. Open Tues. - Fri. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Closed holidays. 905 W. Division St. Admission.
Lake, Sabine -
See LAKES list' 9
Lukher Theatre for the
The 1,500-seat theater of spectacular modem design
showcases concerts, musical comedies, opera and drama.
Inquire locally for current schedule; 7th and Front Sts.
downtown. Piney Woods Country Wines-Specializing in wines
from locally grown fruits, berries, and Muscadine grapes,
takes name from location in the piney woods. The winery is
set among parklike woods, orchards, and vineyards. Usually
open for tastings year round Mon. - Sat. 9:30 a.m. - 5:30
P.M., Sun. 1:30 - 5:30 p.m. (Some weekend and vacation
closings, call ahead for confirmation 409/883-5408.) Group
tours by appointment.
Port of Orange-Deep-
water terminal 42 miles inland at junction of
Sabine-Neches and Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. Port not open
to casual visitors, but views available along Border St. from
Rainbow and Veterans
A high, graceful arc on Texas 87 spans the Neches
River joining Orange and Bridge City on the nonh with Pon
Arthur to the south. The two-lane, vintage Rainbow Bridge,
completed 1938, spans salt marshes and industrial river
channel for 1.5 miles including approaches. The bridge's
177-foot clearance height resulted from requirement that any
U.S. Navy ship could pass under; tallest ship of the Navy's
1938 fleet was a dirigible tender than never sailed up the
Neches.Veterans Bridge was completed in 1991; with 143-foot
navigation clearance, it is first cable-stayed bridge on
Texas highways. Park at south end has playground, picnicking,
and good view of bridge and ships in the intracoastal waters
Stark Museum of Art -
Facility created to showcase outstanding collections.
Changing exhibits plus paintings of Taos School of New
Mexico, worksof Audubon, Remington
bronzes, Steuben crystal, porcelain sculpture, Indian art and
artifacts. Open Wed. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sun. I - 5 p.m.
Closedholiday'. 712 Green Ave.
Super Gator Airboat tour -
Travel through the beauty of the swamplands with
giant cypress trees, Spanish moss, swamp flowers, and
birdlife. Minimums apply. Tours available May - Sept. 10 a.m.
- 7 p.m.; Oct. - Apr. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. 106 E. Lutcher,
Texas Travel Information Center-
One of the centers provided by state at key highway entrances
to Texas, in State Capitol complex, in the Lower Rio Grande
Valley, and at the judge Roy Bean Visitor Center in Langtry.
Operated daily 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., except for Thanksgiving Day,
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. Staffed by
unifoffned, trained travel counselors, services free to all
visitors include information, maps, literature about every
part of state and expert help in charting routes. At
TexasLouisiana state line, 1-10 three miles northeast of
downtown; operated by Texas Department of Transportation.
W.H. Stark House -
opened in 1981 after 10-year
restoration, the 15room, 1894 Victorian mansion is a
distinctive example of the era's architectural elegance.
Period furnishings accented by displays of superb cut glass,
rare porcelains, imported bronzes and Oriental antiques.
Visitation by tour only (includes stair climbing);
reservations advisable. Tours start at carriage house; no
children under 14; each child 14 and over the responsibility
of one adult. Tours Tues. - Sat. at 10, 11 & 11:30 a.m.,
1, 2, & 3 p.m. 610 W. Main St. at Stark Civic Complex.