Port of entry with international bridge between U.S. and Mexico;
seat of Starr County. Area included in Jose de Escandon's Colony of 1753; when
General Zachary Taylor Established Fort Ringgold in 1848, it added population and
One of Texas' best preserved old military posts; named for Major
David Ringgold, first army officer killed in Battle of Palo Alto that opened Mexican War.
Established after Mexican War for protection against Indians and to assure the Rio
Grande as a national boundary; deactivated in 1944. Among its distinguished
landmarks are Lee House, once occupied by Col. Robert E. Lee when he commanded the
Department of Texas before the Civil War, and an old post hospital. Portions of fort
are now part of the Rio Grande City school system. The fort is located off U.S. 83
at east limit.
Historic Inn: La Borde House-
Completed in 1899 as a home and border store by a French
merchant-riverboat trader. It was converted to a hotel operated by the family until
the 1930s. Designed by Parisian architects; combines European, Creole, and Texas
border styles with shady verandahs, courtyard, and patio. Nine rooms and the parlor
are restored and furnished in turn-of-century decor. Operates as hotel and
restaurant; 601 E. Main St. (U.S. 83).
Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto-
Replica of venerable shrine in Lourdes, France; contains statures of
Our Lady of Lourdes and a peasant girl whose visions led to establishment of the original
shrine. It is located near Starr County Courthouse at 305 N. Britton.