Originated in 1850's when Weatherford was selected as the seat of
Parker County. The city was named after Jefferson Weatherford, a member of the Texas
Senate when the county was created. In the early years the town was the last
settlement on the Western frontier on the route of wagon trains operating between Fort
Worth and Fort Belknap. The southwest area of town boasts many Victorian-style
residences built in the late 1800s. Industries include oil field equipment, silicone
and plastic products. Weatherford Junior College, the oldest continuing two-year
college in the Southwest, was established in 1869.
Evolving from trades day held when court was in session on the first
Monday of each month when farmers, and ranchers brought produce and livestock to town, the
event now features a variety of "trash and treasures," produce, and still some
livestock. Held on Saturday and Sunday preceding the first Monday every month at US
80/180, three blocks east of the courthouse.
Holland Lake Park-
The municipal park is a 10-acre living museaum of nature with a
marked nature trail that explores three different ecosystems. Site of G.A. Holland's
double-log cabins that were awarded a Texas Centennial Historical Marker in 1936.
Playground and picnic facilities. Off Clear Lake Rd., exit 409 from I-20.
1,210-acre municipal lake owned by the city of Weatherford on Clear
Fork of the Trinity River. Several public fishing areas are designated and
commercial facilities are accessible. About 7 miles east of Weatherford via US
80/180 and F.M. 730.
Oliver Loving's Grave-
Known as the "Dean of Texas Trail Drivers," Loving came to
Parker County from Kentucky about 1855. Wounded by Indians during a drive with
Charles Goodnight, he died at Fort Sumner in 1867 after traveling in secret without food
for five days. Loving's son and Goodnight returned his body over 600 miles by wagon
for burial in Weatherford. State historical marker granted in 1977 for his grave in
Greenwood Cemetery at Front & Mill Sts.
Parker County Courthouse-
After three previous structures were destroyed by fire, the present
courthouse was begun in 1884 and dedicated in 1886. Designed by architect Wesly
Clarke Dobson of Waco who designed nine other Texas courthouses, the Victorian building is
constructed of limestone quarried locally. Seal inside marks the exact center of the
county. A good photo opportunity for visitors. Junction of US 80/180 and Texas
Peter Pan Statue-
Bronze statue sculpted by artist Ronald Thomason honors Weatherford
native Mary Martin who created the role of Peter Pan on Broadway. (Miss Martin's
childhood home is 314 W. Oak St. and is not open to the public.) The statue stands
in front of the library at 1214 Charles St. where a room contains some original musical
scores, costumes, and other memorabilia on Miss Martin.
Santa Fe Depot-
Restored 1909 all-brick structure was one of the first in the area
to be built with concrete floors. Now houses the chamber of commerce office and
visitor center. Open Mon.-Fri. 8:30 am - 5 pm. Three blocks east of the
courthouse at 401 Ft. Worth Street.